This cutlery set was one of the first objects designed during the late 1930s by three young architects who became leading exponents of what is known as “Lombardy classicism” in the field of design and architecture.
It was presented to the public for the first time at the 7th Milan Triennale (1940), as part of a metal and glass exhibition organised by Ignazio Gardella (another model was also presented at this exhibition, later produced by Alessi under the name “Caccia”).
The distinctive feature of this cutlery is the equilibrium between the concept of homeware, still artisanal, and its industrial future, a combination which instantly garnered universal approval and admiration. “They are ‘types’ of cutlery of such great style, purity of form and design, that I have to say that no more beautiful cutlery is produced anywhere else in the world” commented Giò Ponti in Domus. A lighter, tapered form with no frills, yet highly functional. Take the prongs of the fork for example: “why have four if three are enough?”. This series also reflects the formal and industrial renewal of homeware, characterised at that time by the gradual introduction of new production techniques such as moulding and die casting, and the use of new materials such as steel.
In 1990, Alessi began producing “Caccia” in 18/10 stainless steel and silver-plated nickel silver (later replaced by steel in 2004). The series was completed by Luigi Caccia Dominioni who designed the pieces not included in the original project.
Two versions of “40” were presented at the Triennale: one in silver and one in vermeil with a porcelain handle. The version we are presenting today, in stainless steel with POM handles, is also a product of the partnership with Luigi Caccia Dominioni.
Caccia Dominioni Luigi
Born in Milan in 1913, he graduated in architecture from the Polytechnic of Milan in 1936 and in the same year he started his activity in Venice together with Livio and Pier Giacomo Castiglioni, winning the competition held at the Vimercate School. In the field of Industrial design he was considered a "pioneer" when he presented at the VII Triennial in Milan a series of radios designed together with the Castiglioni brothers. In the '50s he set up, together with Gardella and Corradi, Azucena which is a collection of the furniture and objects he designed. The "Caccia" cutlery he designed are shown at the Museum of Modern Art of New York.
Born in Milan in 1911. He graduated in architecture from the Polytechnic of Milan in 1936. He started working with his brothers Achille and Pier Giacomo immediately after the war focussing their attention mainly on city planning, architecture and particularly on design. All the experiments and studies on design were possible thanks to the many exhibitions they designed and where Livio worked as light and sound technician.
Castiglioni Pier Giacomo
Born in Milan in 1913. He graduated in architecture from the Polytechnic of Milan where he later would teach architectural composition. He started working with his brothers Achille and Livio immediately after the war focussing their attention mainly on city planning, architecture and particularly on design. Together with Achille, he received various acknowledgements such as the permanent exhibition of six of their works at the Museum of Modern Art of New York and won five editions of the Compasso d'Oro award.